[Sca-cooks] ANOTHER SPICY STORY

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 24 12:58:58 PST 2002

About twenty or so years ago, I got my hands on some Nigerien chili powder.
There was a note on the container saying it was very hot and you needed to
cut your normal amount in half.  Okay.

I was cooking chili con carne Mary of Agreda for a mixed bag of fire eaters
including Count Finn Kelly O'Donnell, who never met a pepper too hot.  Since
I wasn't out to kill anyone, I cut the chili powder to one-third the regular
amount.  The resulting chili was so hot, half a dozen stalwart souls didn't
finish their bowl.  One stout fellow managed to force his way through it.
And Finn Kelly and I each had two bowls of the hottest and one of the most
flavorful chili con carnes I've ever encountered.

I had a little over a quart remaining in the pot, so I packaged it up in
half pint containers and froze it.  For the next year, I used one or two
spoonfuls to boost the flavor of various meat sauces.  I really wasn't up to
that third bowl.

If I ever come across Nigerian chili powder again, I'll start at about
one-eighth of the normal amount and work up.

Bear