[Sca-cooks] horseradish fries

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 24 16:48:21 PST 2002

Adamantius said:
> Also sprach Philippa Alderton:
>
> >Well, Stefan, most people don't like intensely spicy
> >things, and in your area, when people think about Hot
> >Things, quite understandably, hot peppers tend to come
> >to mind. Most of the sauces that you get are in a
> >mayonaisse base, the intention being to cut the heat,
> >and get the light horseradish flavor.

It's a different 'heat' than that achieved with peppers.

It is interesting that many folks say that the Middle Ages lacked
any hot spicing because they didn't have chili peppers, yet they
did have horseradish and mustard and made sauces from them. Maybe the
fact that they were native to Europe caused them to be looked down
upon except for specific uses.

> I think the mayonnaise base for commercial horseradish sauces (Arby's
> comes to mind as one of the Evil Innovators in this case) is largely
> a shelf-life improvement.

I seem to remember you being in the Anti-Miracle Whip faction when
the pros and cons of mayonnaise were discussed previously.

What would you suggest using instead of mayonnaise? I think the
Arby's sauce is fairly good, although sometimes a bit too mild.
The chopped/crushed horseradish pieces in vinegar tend to be a
bad texture as a dipping sauce or to spread on things. And sometimes
a bit hot. I sometimes found that mixing the two will end up with
a better sauce than either alone.

> That same grated root, with or without the vinegar, is also good with
> sour cream as a roast beef sauce.

Yes, horseradish sauce on roast beef or on a roast beef sandwich
can be wonderful. I hadn't considered using sour cream as a
base. That sounds good.

> Yeah, Stefan loves to do that
> Will-Rogers-who-only-knows-what-he-reads-in-the-papers stuff, but the
> fact is he performs a useful service. You can count on him to find
> the flaw in any argument or the weakness in any explanation. He
> pretends that this is because he is a bear of very little experience,
> but I know better. I tend to think of him (quite respectfully) as The
> Moron's Advocate.

moi?   Hmmm. such friends...

My boss comments that I ought to be in software testing. I seem to
do things just different enough to screw up the software. Everything
perfectly legitimate. Just not always what the software writers
apparently had in mind...

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net