[Sca-cooks] horseradish fries

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 24 17:46:44 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius said:
>  > Also sprach Philippa Alderton:
>>
>>  >Well, Stefan, most people don't like intensely spicy
>>  >things, and in your area, when people think about Hot
>>  >Things, quite understandably, hot peppers tend to come
>>  >to mind. Most of the sauces that you get are in a
>>  >mayonaisse base, the intention being to cut the heat,
>>  >and get the light horseradish flavor.
>
>It's a different 'heat' than that achieved with peppers.
>
>It is interesting that many folks say that the Middle Ages lacked
>any hot spicing because they didn't have chili peppers, yet they
>did have horseradish and mustard and made sauces from them. Maybe the
>fact that they were native to Europe caused them to be looked down
>upon except for specific uses.

Also ginger and black pepper, both of which are referred, either
directly or obliquely, in medieval recipes, as being "hot". This may
be a humoral issue.

>  > I think the mayonnaise base for commercial horseradish sauces (Arby's
>>  comes to mind as one of the Evil Innovators in this case) is largely
>>  a shelf-life improvement.
>
>I seem to remember you being in the Anti-Miracle Whip faction when
>the pros and cons of mayonnaise were discussed previously.

I was pro-mayonnaise, and did indeed speak somewhat critically of
Miracle Whip, but have no problem with those less enlightened souls
who choose to indulge in its dubious charms. I will fight to defend
the right of tasteless doofuses everywhere to eat Miracle Whip until
their eyes bubble, because that's what makes this country great!
People, no matter how misguided and ill-equipped for practical
existence, have the right to eat cloyingly sweet,
boiled-dressing-wannabees if they want to! I wouldn't _dream_ of
trying to prevent anyone who wants to eat that vile, nasty sludge
with a big ol' spoon, if that's their wish!

Anti-Miracle-Whip??? ME??? Imposserous!

>What would you suggest using instead of mayonnaise? I think the
>Arby's sauce is fairly good, although sometimes a bit too mild.
>The chopped/crushed horseradish pieces in vinegar tend to be a
>bad texture as a dipping sauce or to spread on things. And sometimes
>a bit hot. I sometimes found that mixing the two will end up with
>a better sauce than either alone.

Turning it into a sorta of seafood cocktail sauce, usually with help
from tomato ketchup, Worcestershire, Tobasco, and lemon (plus the
aforementioned horseradish) is another possibility.

>>  That same grated root, with or without the vinegar, is also good with
>>  sour cream as a roast beef sauce.
>
>Yes, horseradish sauce on roast beef or on a roast beef sandwich
>can be wonderful. I hadn't considered using sour cream as a
>base. That sounds good.

Its shelf life is shorter, but nummy with things like the bouilli
from a pot-au-feu (that's boiled beef to you), brisket, etc.

>  > Yeah, Stefan loves to do that
>>  Will-Rogers-who-only-knows-what-he-reads-in-the-papers stuff, but the
>>  fact is he performs a useful service. You can count on him to find
>>  the flaw in any argument or the weakness in any explanation. He
>>  pretends that this is because he is a bear of very little experience,
>>  but I know better. I tend to think of him (quite respectfully) as The
>>  Moron's Advocate.
>
>moi?   Hmmm. such friends...

Honesty is a facet of friendship... note that I did not say _you_
were a moron. I just note that you have a tendency to find flaws in
explanations and ask questions for the benefit of others even if you
already know the answer.

>My boss comments that I ought to be in software testing. I seem to
>do things just different enough to screw up the software. Everything
>perfectly legitimate. Just not always what the software writers
>apparently had in mind...

 From each according to his abilities... ;-)

Adamantius