[Sca-cooks] Citrus Question [was Funges Follies]

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 25 08:20:46 PST 2002

So said Adamantius:
> On the other hand, the simple fact of knowing when, and why, we
> diverge from what we know to be a period process because it is
> documented very specifically, and when, and why, we are speculating,
> is a good teaching and reasoning device.

Greetings,
On that thought I have a question that I hope the gentles here on the list
can help with. This weekend I embarked on the retacting/testing portion of
an upcoming feast. I prepared the Salmon Casserole (182) and the Meat
Casserole (124) from Libra del Coch by de Nola (thank you Stefan for having
it online!).
After the tasting portion of the evening I decided I need to punch up the
prescence of the orange juice in both dishes a good bit. The question I have
is: When did the technique of "zesting" citrus and adding it to a dish to up
the citrus quotient come about?
Also, what would be the best oranges to use & why? Because of a discussion
that occured on this very list I used blood oranges for both dishes. Are
they sour enough? Should I add lemon? Should I use a different orange? Is
there any commercially available pre-squozed juice that would be a good
substitute? (I do not relish the idea of squozing all of those oranges).
If I cannot figure out a way to up the orange without compromising the dish
then that is okey-dokey, I figured I would just garnish with pretty orange
slices to advertise that there is orange in the dish.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva