[Sca-cooks] Sausages

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Mar 25 10:18:10 PST 2002

Kateryn de Develyn quoted a period sausage recipe and
translation:
-----------------
Sausages
Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_ (1599)
Translation: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Rellenos de diuersas maneras de al carne magra del puerco fresco

...and take the membrane of the same pig, cleaned of
hair, and softened with warm water, and from the said  mixture with
the membrane make the sausages in the shape you wish ...
---------

And so now the "Stefan" question is:
What pig part is this "membrane"? And what would I ask for
today in the grocery/meat market?

I thought this might be another name for the intestine, but I
don't think the intestine needs to be "cleaned of hair".
and besides later on the recipe says:
---------
You can stuff the intestines of the pig with the same mixture, have
first kept [the intestines] in salt, and you can cook them after two days.
---------

Both of these sausage recipes sound good. I did recently buy
a sausage grinder (mostly plastic) to see about trying to make
some period sausages. Kateryn's comments do imply that these
sausages can be frozen. Otherwise, it would appear that about
all I would be eating for awhile would be sausages, so I could
eat them before they went bad.

Stefan li Rous