Weekend (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Sausages)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:14:15 PST 2002

>On 25 Mar 2002, at 9:13, Debra Hense wrote:
>
> > My weekend was busy - how was yours?
> > Kateryn de Develyn
>
>Mine was also busy.  Saturday was Mudthaw, which is my
>barony's big yearly event.  It was also the investiture of our new
>baron and baroness.
>
>I can't report on the feast, alas, because we were on the waiting list
>and didn't get in.  I spent part of the morning helping with dayboard
>prep, and most of the afternoon selling goodies to benefit our
>incipient canton.
>
>I brought peach pits, bizcochos (anise sugar cookies), and French
>biskets (almond macaroons from Eleanor Fettiplace).  They were
>all very popular.  The peach pits sold out, and so did the
>bizcochos, and there were only a handful of biskets left.  The busy
>time of the day was mid-to-late afternoon, when the dayboard was
>gone, and people were getting hungry.  I was especially pleased by
>people's reactions to the peach pits.  They said, "Those look like...
>peach pits" in a what-are-they-doing-here? tone of voice.
>
>I think the experiment will be worth repeating.  People seem very
>willing to shell out money to satisfy their sweet tooth.  Next time,
>maybe gingerbrede or payn ragoun...
>

>Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann

Our cooks guild does a few fund-raisers a year.  Sometimes we are invited to
sell a light lunch (soup mostly) but mostly we do a bake sale type thing.
We sell sweets, candies, cheesecakes, spiced nuts, bottled mustards and
vinegars that some of us make, heck, we even sell trinkets and jewelry.  It
usually ends up buying new serving or cookware or replenishes the spices or
other staples.  All our items are done voluntarily and are donated by the
individual to the guild.
Olwen