[Sca-cooks] Beef stew- redaction question

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 25 17:55:50 PST 2002

At 08:14 PM 3/25/02 EST, you wrote:

>My first thought is, too much bread.  I know the recipe says a loaf of bread,
>but do we have any idea what various loaves would weigh?  Some, such as the
>manchets served at table were fairly small - hand-size, more or less, at
>least according to pictorial evidence.
>
>Brangwayna

But I'm not sure that manchet are what they mean by 'loaf' of bread- at
least I've never seen them called such.

Standard loaves are shown in teh illos as round, about 14" across.
Somewhere (read that- 'in the boxes of notes and papers in the garage 200
miles away') I have a copy of the standardized measures for bread bakers-
the ones that if your loaves were found too small/light, they would hang
one around your neck and put you in the stocks. If I can think of where to
find it online, I'll dig it up- if I can get the computer to cooperate...

'Lainie