[Sca-cooks] Beef stew- redaction question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 26 07:11:45 PST 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>Standard loaves are shown in teh illos as round, about 14" across.
>Somewhere (read that- 'in the boxes of notes and papers in the garage 200
>miles away') I have a copy of the standardized measures for bread bakers-
>the ones that if your loaves were found too small/light, they would hang
>one around your neck and put you in the stocks. If I can think of where to
>find it online, I'll dig it up- if I can get the computer to cooperate...

You want to look for the 1266 (or the later 15th & 16th century
versions) Assize of Bread. In some versions it's combined with an
Assize of Ale. They are legal documents setting the prices of grain
products based upon the cost of the grain itself, allowing for a
specific profit margin.

Oooh, baby, pinko commie stuff; all we need now is rent control and
socialized medicine!

Adamantius