[Sca-cooks] Tableware

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 25 20:25:25 PST 2002

>Randy Goldberg MD wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations on sources for period (or
>> period-appearing) tableware? I've been relying on Chris for feast gear,
>> but I think I should be thinking about getting my own, and don't want to
>> break the bank doing it.

Depends on how big the bank is, I suppose!

If you want to buy new, they have some really fine things at:

www.historicenterprises.com/

Scroll down on the left- they're near the bottom. I highly recommend the
men's clothes and shoes, etc. also.

If you don't mind second-hand stuff, check out the local Goodwill/Salvation
Army/St.Vincent's. They usually have quite an array of wooden things, and
pewteroid tankards and such.

As to candles, well, I'm going to give you my current opinion on such,
which is- skip 'em. I've been looking at tables scenes again, and you know?
I don't think I can remember any tables with candles on them. There are
candles other places in the hall, but they don't seem to actually be on the
tables- which when you think of serving constraints, makes a lot of sense.

However, Alot of hall monitors think it 'looks more medieval' to turn the
lights off and make people eat by candlelight. Do we have any evidence that
they did so? Well, not really. For one thing, the main meal was usually in
the middle of the day, when light was not so much of an issue. And a feast
(which we are trying to emulate?) is also usually served during the day.
And there are pictures of candleabrum and such, hanging from the ceiling.
What to do on site in the evening? If the lights are on a dimmer switch,
turn them down some. If not, well, either grok the idea that people in
period didn't like to eat in the dark any more than we do, or light a candle.

The candlabrum I want are in the background of the scenes in the French
court in Branagh's _Henry V_. But I'm not biased at all, of course. ;-)

'Lainie