[Sca-cooks] Cooking techniques

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 21:16:12 PST 2002

--- Barbara Benson <vox8 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> <big ol' honkin snip from Philip>

> <snip>
> Greetings,
> I understand what you are saying - and I am not
> disagreeing with your basic
> premise - but I have to take a teeny bit of issue
> with the chicken is
> chicken statement. Having tasted free-range chicken
> vs the mass produced
> chicken in a side by side test I would go so far as
> to say they tase almost
> like two different animals. The flavor of mass
> produced chicken is so bland,
> so non-descript, that the "tastes like chicken"
> comment has been coined -
> not because many things taste like chicken but
> because (mass produced)
> chicken has almost no distinctive characteristics.

I think you missed my point in the previous sentence,
which was:

> I defy
> ANYONE, to tell the difference in breed between two
> different cattle, for example, supposing they are of
> a similar type, age, gender, background, and
nurture,
> all the Yuppie nonsense about the superiority of
> Angus beef, to the contrary.

Nurture includes the raising of the animal- feed,
exercise, etc. and feed and exercise would account for
the difference between factory and free range chicken,
given that both were of a similar breed.

Obviously, an elderly male bovine raised and fed on
nothing but grass, and worked as an ox all its life
will, by my example, be different in edibility
characteristics from a calf or young cow, penned,
grain-fed and slaughtered before full sexual maturity.
You will find that two cattle of even very different
breeds, of an age, gender, and similar nurture- same
feed and exercise exercise will be more alike than
different in edibility characteristics.

By the same token, a chicken raised to be fully grown
and to die of old age at three months will be
different than a chicken which has a normal life span,
supposing both are killed at the same age.

Feed, which I included, will differentiate chickens
more than many other characteristics, and the major
difference between factory chickens and free range
chickens is nurture.

I feel that the breed differences are minor compared
to other differences, and that if you were to raise an
animal in a similar manner to a period animal, same
sorts of feed, etc there would be no discernable
difference. Look at what people have to say about
acorn fed pigs, for example.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,