[Sca-cooks] A period Roux recipe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 25 23:13:58 PST 2002

Caitlin of Enniskillen said:
> Here is the recipe I referenced in an earlier post regarding finding a
> period "roux" from *The Cookbook of Sabrina Welserin*.
>
> 9 To make a yellow sauce for game or birds
>
> First put fat in a pan and fry some flour in it, then take some wine and
> three times as much of broth and put it into the pan and add to it ginger
> and pepper and color it yellow, then it is ready.

Thank you for posting this. We have talked about a few period "roux"
recipes previously. Take a look at this file in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS
section of the Florilegium for a few:
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

I was going to add your message to this file, but I realized that
that recipe is already in there. However, you might be interested
in some of the commentary.

You mentioned that you had several such recipes. If you have
any more that aren't in this file, please post them.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net