[Sca-cooks] Cooking techniques- Was Funges Follies-

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 25 19:14:42 PST 2002

In order for food chemistry to be the same now
as it always was, wouldn't the foods have to be
exactly the same? And as they say... there's the rub...

Elizabeth David certainly didn't feel that modern
foods were the same. She wrote that "The reproduction
of dishes cooked precisely according to the recipes
of a hundred or two hundred years ago is a fairly pointless
undertaking, not only because our tastes, our methods
of cookery and our equipment have so totally changed
but because even the identical would no longer taste
the same." [An Omelette and A Glass of Wine, p287]
There are a number of other food historians and critics
who share the same views, including John and Karen Hess,
among others. I believe that this is why most would
preface their attempts at historical cookery with the
words using "modern ingredients." Few of us have access to the
meat from rare breeds, the flour from the right variety
of wheat or other grains, the heirloom fruits and vegetables,
the raw unrefined sugars, the dairy products from the
rare breeds, etc. And that's before we turn to the techniques
and methods of hearth cookery over open fires and bakeovens
fired by wood.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis