[Sca-cooks] Citrus Question [was Funges Follies]

Mon Mar 25 13:10:35 PST 2002

But how much of your rememberance is based on apocryphal legend and how much
is based on sources contemporary to the events?

Here is a story about blood oranges:
http://ba1.impnet.com/fmc-catania/english/news/blood.htm

The significant points in the story are the mozaics in Piazza Armerina
(central Sicily) which seem to support early introduction of blood oranges
and that the classic citrus texts consulted (Ferrari, Hesperides; Rome, 1646
is mentioned) had no references to blood oranges.  Having worked with
artistic evidence, I consider the lack of information in the texts of
greater import.

Blood oranges are a varietal of C. sinensis.  The first written reference to
C. sinensis in Europe is around 1635 and according to one casual grower,
blood oranges only start appearing in the literature in the early 19th
Century.

Here's another interesting site on oranges:
http://www.aquapulse.net/knowledge/orange.html .

I've referred to Japan as the source of "Portugals," the sweet oranges
introduced by the Portugeuese in 1529.  I have considered this questionable,
but used the reference in lieu of a better opinion.  This site suggests that
the "Portugal" came from India (a location better suited to the date) and
provides a bibliography which may provide information to earlier sources.

Bear