[Sca-cooks] Baking (was Tableware)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 15:28:45 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/25/2002 9:15:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
goldberg at bestweb.net writes:

> I'm a COOK, dear. Of course I make bread.

I know a lot of cooks who don't make bread.  Outside a breadmaker, anyway.
Including me.  I'd love to learn, but I'm not sure the chronic tendonitis in
the wrists would take the kneading...

Anyway, I make my trenchers of whole wheat flour, water, salt and yeast,
usually the Tuesday before the event so they have time to stale.  I've
learned to cut them early, like on Wednesday, or be tempted to find a power
saw from the workshop...I've been able to keep them successfully for a
Saturday feast at a weekend event, but the experimental ones I took to
Pennsic only lasted about 4 days.  They are best stored in a linen bag or
napkin to allow some air flow and keep moisture from building up.

Brangwayna