[Sca-cooks] Tableware

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 15:28:47 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/2002 11:20:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mneumark at hotmail.com writes:

> The wooden plate thing sort of bothers me personally.  Unless you were dirt
> poor, after the 11th century, most merchant,upper class lords and ladies
> ether ate off metal plates or had pottery

Really?  Much of my research indicates that in 12th century England and
France, they rarely used plates, but used trenchers instead, and that that
practice carried over for well over a century afterwards.  Certainly there
are trenchers shown in, among other places, the feasting scenes of the Duc de
Berry's book of hours, which is 14th century, I believe, and depicts banquets
served for nobles.
Certainly there is metalware (mostly utensils and covered hanaps or drinking
vessels) depicted on the tables, but I don't recall seeing plates that
frequently for personal eating.  Certainly they appear as serving utensils.

Brangwayna Morgan