[Sca-cooks] KFC

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 26 21:06:30 PST 2002

I'd forgotten Zum Zum! They were cheap and good! Don't remember for sure
about beer - I think it was available. (I wasn't 11 *G*) I think my mom
ate at one near NYU regularly when she was finishing her degree, which
puts it about 20 years ago. Have you seen a Dosanko recently? They seem
to have vanished... Japanese noodle soup, other lunch fare.  Of course,
while I'm on Japanese food, there was that place across from Altman's
that served sushi on a conveyor belt... long before it was fashionable!
I started eating it there. There was a Chock Full of Nuts near my office
- good soup, cream cheese on nut bread sandwiches...

And, when I was a kid, Chicken Delight was near us, too. We got it
sometimes, but usually, if we got take out (not very often) we did
Chinese. Pizza sometimes for lunch, but Dad didn't like it. Or salads
from the deli... Mom's favorite Too Hot To Cook dinner. Chicken and
shrimp salads, German potato salad, cole slaw, and a dill pickle. Good
rye bread (but we always had that in the house.) Or Pastrami and Roast
Beef sandwiches an inch thick.

I do remember going to my aunt's down on the Jersey Shore, and going to
McDonald's for a treat - weren't any in NY yet. We thought a drive in
was cool. Imagine eating in a car! In Manhattan, we ate at tables...