[Sca-cooks] Real KFC

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 27 07:36:25 PST 2002

Greetings,

I grew up in Jeffersonville Indiana which is just across the river from
Luavull Kentucky - the birthplace of the Colonel Sanders. When he sold the
rights to his original recipe to whatever conglomerate bought it he
stipulated in the contract his right to retain in his family, and continue
to produce, true Kentucky Fried Chicken at his original restaurant. So I
grew up eating at The Colonel's Lady. We had my Great Grandmothers
80somethingth birthday there. When you have a large group you can reserve
the party room upstairs. Everybody sits at huge family size tables and you
are served family style - giant platters of chicken, bowls & bowls of
"fixins", biscuits and cornbread. It is all you can eat and they refill the
platters until you explode. Then they clear the tables and you sit for a
spell with good company until they start the parade of pies & cakes....
It is (was?) a delicious place to eat that served more than just chicken. If
you are traveling through the Louisville area and want a treat, try to find
it. I remember it being out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, and my grandpa is buried 2 rows behind the bust of Col. Sanders in the
Cave Hill Cemetery. Yet another place worth a visit. it is one of the most
beautiful places on earth, especially in the spring.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane,
Serena da Riva