[Sca-cooks] Fish and Chip places (OOP)

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Mar 27 15:26:35 PST 2002

At 12:10 PM 3/27/02,lilinah at earthlink.net said something like:

>As for someone's mysterious fish and chips chain restaurant, there
>was what i think was a national chain called H. Salt, Esq. and i seem
>to recall a Long John Silver's, but i never ate there. I still love a
>good fish and chips, but don't know where one is, these days. The
>last time i got some it was over ten years ago from a carry-out place
>in West Los Angeles that was owned by a Chinese family - they made
>donuts and fish and chips - i don't recall if they had Chinese food,
>though.

For many years my aunt and uncle ran separate F&C shops in Las Vegas.
Theirs were entitled Mr. Fish and Chips, but they purchased the special
potato poofs from Treachers (rather than use regular old fries). I put in
three summers of hard labor at my aunt's shop, learning loads about cooking
while doing it.

Those poofs were so wonderful. After my aunt and uncle sold off their
shops, there was no place to buy them at all.  I found Treachers was still
in business in Utah, many years later, but I think even they have now gone
out of business. Alas.  One of the few places you could ask for malt
vinegar, baptize everything in it, and nobody gave it a second glance.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.