[Sca-cooks] KFC:::was::::Re: bread bowls

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 12:10:26 PST 2002

Well, FARB, but pizza in France, at least when i lived there in the
early 1970's, was NOT thin.

It was made by putting some sort of bread dough in a huge rectangular
pan with short sides, spreading an extraordinarily minimal amount of
tomato paste or puree and dotting it with things like anchovies (yum,
yum, i LOVE anchovies - i've got a jar of olives stuffed with
anchovies to snack on...) and ISTR black olives and bell pepper. NO
cheese. After it was baked, it was cut in almost square rectangles.
You bought it quite cold and ate it that way, generally as a
mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.

This French pizza was made by the boulanger - the bread baker, who
made loaves of bread - things like croissants came from the patissier
- essentially a pastry cook - and not from a pizzeria, although i
believe there was one where i lived - a *Swiss* pizzeria...

I prefer a local California stuffed pizza (from Zachary's) and my
favorite is the mushroom-spinach. Basically this kind of stuffed
pizza has a thin crust laden with fresh - yes, fresh - spinach, fresh
mushrooms (and you can add things like olives and fresh garlic). Then
another thin, thin, thin layer of dough is placed over the stuffing.
This top layer is spread with tomato paste, seasonings, and a modest
amount of cheese. Because of the stuffing, it has to be baked in a
high sided pan.

Otherwise, i like foofy nouvelle pizzas with all sorts of strange
things piled on. My favorite place for this kind is Pizza Rustica.
They have several shops in the SF Bay area and one in Argentina, i
think, or Brazil - and maybe another someplace in the US... In the
old days, when they only did carry-out, they sold red T-shirts with a
small logo on it - breast-pocket location - of a pizza cutting tool
crossed over a triangular slice (a very intentional parody of the
Soviet Union hammer and sickle).

And we have a cart-load of Brazilian pizzerias in Berkeley...

As for someone's mysterious fish and chips chain restaurant, there
was what i think was a national chain called H. Salt, Esq. and i seem
to recall a Long John Silver's, but i never ate there. I still love a
good fish and chips, but don't know where one is, these days. The
last time i got some it was over ten years ago from a carry-out place
in West Los Angeles that was owned by a Chinese family - they made
donuts and fish and chips - i don't recall if they had Chinese food,
though.

A mile or two from them was Hurry Curry and Lotus Pizza run by an
Indian family...

Will the real pizza please stand up?

Anahita