[Sca-cooks] KFC:::was::::Re: bread bowls

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 27 04:29:33 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>  > Of course, KFC is a relative newcomer, as are most fast food chains,
>>  to the NYC area. (I'm interested in all the obscure chains that have
>>  come and gone, or failed to take hold, some of them pretty good...)
>
>Like Roy Rogers Roast Beef, that I think must have got bought out
>by Arby's. But it was better.

There are several Roy Rogers' around New York, including the one
across the street from my wife's office. I've never had their roast
beef anything... .

>  And I remember a nice Fish and Chips
>place. The first time I had malt vinegar. I wish I could get some
>nice fish and chips around here, with or without the fake British
>veneer.

As was mentioned, that would probably be Arthur Treachers'. Funny, if
you actually remember Arthur Treacher, the actor. It would be kind of
like using the name and likeness of John Houseman to sell hot dogs.
(Arthur Treacher had a very artificial dignity, though, stemming from
early typecasting in butler-type roles, including some very bad
characterizations of Wodehouse's Jeeves, who was not even a butler.)

>  > again, we've had real pizza pretty much since WWII or before, so
>>  it is not without compensation.
>
>And your definition of "real" pizza is?

Thin, crisp on the bottom, made from high-gluten flour in a _very_
hot oven, almost more like a cracker than like bread, because much of
its leavening comes from oven spring rather than trapped CO2.
Pineapple and/or bacon are not among the approved toppings, nor is
crumbled sausage. That should be cooked whole, and sliced. Pepperoni
should be hot and never taste of licorice (oleoresin of paprika, a
common additive to modern commercial pepperoni, tastes like
licorice... just ask Phlip ;-)  ).

Fake pizza is characterized by a poufy, bready consistency, tends not
to be hand-thrown and therefore lacks the proper gluten development
(look for a seam around the edges because it's been cut out like a
cookie). Fake pizza may have been reheated in a microwave, or cooked
in a pan (Sicilian pizza is a different animal, and the rules are
different; I refer to the Neapolitan margarita and its variants), and
has heretical toppings like cheddar cheese, or a mixture containing
it, pineapple, etc. There's all kinds of weird stuff going on pizza
these days, with the most bizarre of my own experience being sauced
pasta (not unlike a mashed potato sandwich in some respects) and a
Caesar salad pizza, with or without chicken (pfeh!), a combination
that, by definition, assures the mediocrity or failure of both its
major elements, unless you like cold pizza with hot, wilted salad on
it...

>  > And I STR we had Chicken Delight when
>>  I was a kid, not that it's something my parents would have spent
>>  money on.
>
>Was this simply a fried chicken place? Or was this some kind of
>Oriental Chicken one?

No, just a fried chicken place, but with perhaps less emphasis on the
perceived "southern-ness" of fried chicken. I STR a logo of a chicken
in a chef's toque, which passes an interesting suggestion to the
illiterate of what logos of humans in chef's toques are actually
selling... but I digress ;-).