[Sca-cooks] Tableware

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 15:28:13 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/2002 8:03:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mneumark at hotmail.com writes:

> so while I do
> know trenchers were used, perhaps they were used on and off because you
> wouldn't want a trencher when eating something you are cutting, would you?

But how often would a noble actually need to cut his own food?  If it wasn't
"hacked into gobbets" before cooking, wouldn't the carvers be cutting it at
the sideboard before it was served to the tables?

Brangwayna
(Besides, I'm a lady.  It's the responsibility of my lord, or the lord with
whom I am sharing my trencher, to cut appropriate servings for me :-)  And
boy, is it sometimes hard to wait for him to do it!)