[Sca-cooks] I quit

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 21:43:28 PST 2002

Well... several problems, here. Sometimes a person just doesn't want to
feel that he always needs "help". Sometimes you just want to go indoors
when you want to go in, not have to wait for someone who will help you
up the three steps that they all forget are there.(And even I've
forgotten about steps, and I grew up with this!) Sometimes people who
don't know how to help can be downright dangerous... My father walked
with canes, and I've seen him perilously close to being pitched down
stairs by people with more enthusiasm than sense. And that's terrifying.
Think about it. And there are other more awkward issues...

And Muirdach says he has encountered a problem with the attitude. People
often do assume that there is no reason to change the layout, because
someone will help - see above. Even though he does accessibility for a
living, and can be expected to know not just  what he needs, but also
how to accomplish it. Again, I saw that with my father, who was an early
advocate for accessibility.

Now, I don't know his area, so I don't know either the sites or the
people, and can't speak about  them, so won't try.

This all said, Muirdach, give it a rest for a month or two, stay on the
list and keep teaching us about classic cooking, and then get back in
there. And you *ARE* going to be at Pennsic, aren't you? I STR that you
are teaching there?

Anne