[Sca-cooks] 13th or 14th cent. Italian food

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 28 00:05:28 PST 2002

Master Cariadoc said:
> >Does any one have sources for period food in this time period?
>
> Platina is late 14th century; there are two published translations.

Thank you. I couldn't remember just when Platina wrote his book
so I didn't want to comment yet.

You might find some of the comments in this file useful when
deciding which version of Platina to buy:
cb-rv-Platina-msg (21K)  2/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.

This might also be of interest:
Platina-bib        (7K) 11/ 7/00    A bibliography on Bartolomeo Platina by
                                       Thomas Gloning.

There is also this file, also in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the
Florilegium:
p-Italy-food-bib   (9K) 12/ 1/99    Bibliographies on period Italian food.

> There are some published secondary sources that other people are more
> familiar with than I am that might also be useful. Hope that helps.

You might find some comments on these sources in this file in the
FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Italy-msg      (16K)  1/24/02    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net