[Sca-cooks] Re: [Directors] I quit

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 28 16:25:36 PST 2002

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>Duke Andrew said:
>
>>It is my experience that when disabled members work with the SCA's officers and
>>autocrats in the spirit of cooperation, resolutions to problems are
>>attainable.  I request that you contact the seneschal of your group and/or
>>region, and if necessary, the Kingdom Seneschal, explain the exact nature of
>>the problem, and work with them in an effort to resolve the issues.  Conflict
>>and threats accomplish little.  A small amount of cooperation goes a long way.
>>

>Now, I don't know whether Muiredach contacted his seneschal, but it seems
>awfully rude to assume without checking that the person is a) not trying
>to work with local officials and b) merely being obnoxious. I do know from
>involved about the handicapped issues.

Knowing His Grace for 20+ years, I think it likely that he just had a
hard time understanding that group officers, up to and including Kingdom
level, would be so uncooperative.  Then, Andy lives in Caid, and is
originally a Westie (where he reigned) and I think you've heard how we
work with the differently abled here.  Maybe we're just more aware of it.

I'm running the Caidan history project right now, and in pictures I'm
scanning from 20+ years ago I see people in wheelchairs (Including the
territorial Baron he mentioned -- from Calafia), a court 'signing'
herald, and I know of accomodations made for the blind dating from that
era.  I know there was one time I was in a wheelchair due to injury, and
got far more accomodation from the SCA than a hotel I stayed at for a
science fiction convention.

I can pretty much assure you that Andrew was not being rude.  He was
stating his experience, which is that group seneschals and other PIPP
(People in Positions of Power) will work -with- the disbaled if asked.
 If that in fact is not the case, then Muiredach might want to document
the requests for assistance and the responses in specific, and forward
them back to Andrew.  Getting a negative response to a reqiest for
assistance in writing would reflect very badly on the group in question.

Jared Blaydeaux
Altavia, Caid