[Sca-cooks] Re: [Directors] I quit

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 28 19:15:02 PST 2002

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>    Document?!? Something?!? in the SCA?!?!?! C'mon, you have a better
>chance of translating the Rosetta stone with a Captain Billy's Whizz-Bang
>decoder ring and a copy of the Qabalarian Manifesto than getting any officer
>anywhere of actually committing themselves to paper.
>    Remember the old SCA saying "Non Scriptum, Non Est"? Turn it around, and
>you have the reality. If I didn't write it, no matter what I said in front
>of numerous witnesses, it doesn't count. Anything committed to paper can
>come back to haunt me, though, so therefore I won't respond. Been there,
>been frustrated.

I'm sorry to hear it.  With one exception, some 9 years back, I have not
had that experience.

>    Even if Kingdom Law requires a response, if it's something they don't
>want to deal with, they ignore it. And the Kingdoms won't enforce their own
>laws. The board is worse than useless in this capacity - their primary
>function is to cover things up and maintain the status quo. Justice, honor,
>integrity, all these things fall outside their area of concern.

I believe, my lord, that you are overgeneralizing.

>	I've been trying to get a response out of the Kingdom Officer
>responsible for our Kingdom Land Fund (currently sitting at about $45K) as
>to its disposition for about 6 months . . . No response.

Now, are you trying to get data out of an officer for the KHTI, or a
West Kingdom liaison -to- the KHTI?

>In violation of
>Kingdom Law. Do I think I'll get one . . .? No. He's a Knight and a Duke,
>and is therefore beyond the reach of either Kingdom Law or Corpora. Do I
>think Kingdom will do anything about it? No, he's a Knight and a Duke.  Do I
>think the BoD will do anything about it? No. He's a Knight and a Duke. So
>are they, and they'd never upset the applecart.

I point you to the example of former Knight Aonghais Dubh MacTarbh,
currently serving a 25-to-life sentence in Florida for murder.  They did
something about -him-, as I recall.

>    Document? Jeesh, I wish I could afford your brand of dope . . . Ya
>bogart . . .

Just single malt scotch, my friend, and you're welcome to some when
visiting Caid.

Jared