[Sca-cooks] oop ot help cabbage rolls

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 28 19:45:52 PST 2002

Polish Stuffed Cabbage (Golubki)

>Instead of the 1/2 cup uncooked rice, you might use 1 1/2 cups
>cooked, and less liquid, maybe 1 1/2 quarts instead of two. One of
>those 28-ounce cans of diced or crushed tomatoes or puree, and a pint
>or so of beef stock, works well. You can thicken this later with
>beurre manie if you feel like it... I'm a known gravy fiend, myself.

Instead of either, pour boiling water over the rice and let rest a few
minutes then drain and use in your stuffing.  The rice will expand
so it doesnt break your cabbage rolls, but wont get over cooked either.

This trick is from making stuffed grapevine leaves.  Also put a few
extra leaves at the bottom of the pan, it will keep it from burning.

Ranvaig