[Sca-cooks] re: trenchers

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Mar 29 12:10:53 PST 2002

At 11:56 AM 3/29/02 -0800, you wrote:
>>Like I said, quick and dirty translation.  What we have here seems to >be
>>an
>>adaptation of the trencher.  Rather than being a squared-off round >loaf
>>cut
>>into slices and used as a plate, it's a loaf baked square, sliced
>>horizontally, and used as an insulator and sponge to catch meat juices.
>
>Isn't this called a sopp?  (Probably misspelling here).
>
>--Arte

It might be. The sops I know of are sliced one more time though- if you see
them in the pics they look like littel fingers in neat row on the table.
You pick them up and use them to wipe up juice, not to catch it- rather
like toast with your eggs, of a roll at dinner. I think what the other post
is referring to is sort of transitional thing- from just bread, to bread on
a plate, to just a plate.

But I might be wrong.

'Lainie