[Sca-cooks] pie recipe search

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 13:29:59 PST 2002

--- Karen O <kareno at lewistown.net> wrote:

Here you go. Next time you need a specific modern
recipe, you might want to www.google.com and type in
your request in quotation marks. I did, and I got 10
pages of urls with recipes- that way, you can choose
which one sounds best to you. This one is simply the
first one that came up.

Hope this helps ;-)

Phlip

A Sour Cream Raisin Pie (Tested)

                   By Al Sicherman
                   Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune

                   A more descriptive name for this
pie than sour cream raisin pie might be raisin cream
pie; the sour cream adds a touch of
                   tartness, but the overall
impression is of cream pie, studded with nice, chewy
raisins.

                   The recipe as I found it in a
Pillsbury collection had a standard pastry crust. Some
people love those and could live without
                   crumb crusts; if you're one of
those people, prebake a pastry crust and pour the
filling into that to chill.

                   But I contend that a smooth filling
always is better with a crumb crust, and I was going
to use a regular graham-cracker crust
                   when I saw corn-flake crumbs as an
ingredient in a different pie-crust recipe. The corn
flakes, crushed so the individual
                   particles are still visible (maybe
1/8 inch across), not all the way to corn-flake dust,
add an extra crunchiness to the toasty
                   flavor of the oven-browned cookie
crumbs.

                   Adapted slightly from a Pillsbury
recipe.

                   Sour Cream Raisin Pie

                   Ingredients:

                   Crust:

                   3/4 cup fine vanilla-wafer crumbs
(from about 16 1-1/2" cookies), divided
                   1/2 cup coarse corn-flake crumbs
(from about 1-1/2 cups corn flakes)
                   1/4 cup sugar
                   2 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
                   1 tsp. water

                   Filling:

                   1-1/2 cups raisins
                   3/4 cup sugar
                   1/4 cup cornstarch
                   1/2 tsp. cinnamon
                   1/4 tsp. salt
                   2 cups milk
                   3 egg yolks, beaten
                   1 cup sour cream (light is OK, not
fat-free)
                   1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
                   1 cup heavy cream

                   Preparation:

                   Prepare crust: Preheat the oven to
400 degrees. Set aside 1 tablespoon of vanilla-wafer
crumbs for a garnish.

                   Combine remaining cookie crumbs,
the corn-flake crumbs, sugar, melted butter and water
until well-blended. Press firmly
                   onto bottom and up sides of a
9-inch pie pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes until lightly
browned. Set aside.

                   Prepare filling: In a medium
saucepan combine the raisins, sugar, cornstarch,
cinnamon and salt, mixing well. Add the milk
                   slowly, stirring, until the mixture
is smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly
and scraping the pan bottom until
                   mixture boils. Boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat.

                   In a small bowl, stir about 1/4 cup
of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir the
diluted egg yolks into the hot mixture,
                   stirring until completely blended.
In the same small bowl, stir about 1/4 cup of the hot
mixture into the sour cream, then stir
                   the diluted sour cream into the hot
mixture, stirring until completely blended. Cook,
stirring constantly and scraping the pan
                   bottom, until mixture bubbles.

                   Remove from heat, stir in the lemon
juice and pour into the baked shell. Refrigerate until
set, at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with
                   reserved cookie crumbs. Whip the
cream and top the pie with it or pass it on the side.

                   Yield: 8 servings

                   Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 480, Carbohydrates 67 g, Protein 6 g, Fat 22
g, including sat. fat13 g, Cholestero
                   l144 mg, Sodium 240 mg, Calcium 150
mg, Dietary fiber2 g. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1/2 milk exch., 4 other carb.
                   exch., and 4 1/2 fat exch.

                   (Distributed by Scripps Howard News
Service, www.shns.com)

>         Hi there,  I need some help
>     I am driving myself crazy  {no Mistress Maire,
> it is NOT a short putt}
> looking for a SOUR CREAM RAISIN pie recipe.  My mom
> sent me one,   Now I
> can't find it  -- I was hoping to make it for my
> Easter dinner.  I can't
> find any recipes in my various cookbooks either.
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
>     It's been snowing big fluffy flakes most the
> morning  -- we're {Central
> MT} gonna have a white Easter I think.
>
>     Thanks!
>     Caointiarn