[Sca-cooks] Stuffed Cabbage - Hulapchas

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Mar 29 14:04:14 PST 2002

Devra the Baker gave a recipe for a stuffed cabbage roll. I'm
not sure if I've ever had one and after seeing several recipes
here I'm thinking I might try these sometime. However, I
have a few "Stefan" questions.

-------
My Dear Old Grandma Anna's Recipe, as recorded by my mom Fritzie

1. Strip leaves from cabbage, being careful not to damage them. Cut tough rib
from leaf, but don't cut into leaf.
-------

I assume this stem/rib extends up into the leaf. Do you mean just
cut the stem off at the base of the leaf? Or cut along the rib so
that it leaves a channel cut out of the leaf?

------
2. Put leaves into boiling water and steam abt 5-10 minutes, until soft
enough to roll.  Don't overcook!
-------

Since these are put into the water, isn't this boiling the leaves
rather than steaming them? Or are these leaves really supposed to
be put in a basket over the water in the steam rather than in it?

--------
4. Carefully roll meat in cabbage leaves, folding over like a blini.  Leave
on platter while you prepare the bed.
--------

I'm not even sure I've seen a blini, must less made one. Someone
please describe this folding.

--------
6. Put rolls into pot carefully, and boil 3/4 hr.
--------

This time, this means boil in the water, correct? Should the
water cover the rolls? Halfway up? I assume the rolls are
stacked on their ends.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net