[Sca-cooks] Re: Stuffed Cabbage

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sat Mar 30 07:33:26 PST 2002

Dear Lord Stefan,

Others have answered your questions as well as I could, except for the final
one. If you have considered the other recipes, you'll see that they steam the
leaves before removing from the cabbage., and also remove the tough outside
excess rib from each leaf.

You are laying the rolls down flat [NOT ON END] (seam side down) in the pot,
next to each other.  If you fill in the whole bottom of the pot, then you can
make another layer.

I don't know why the recipe specified that you bring the gravy to a boil
before putting in the rolls.  However, we never baked them; we always steamed
(with lid) or boiled them.

Some people may find this is a little too sweet; one of my friends only uses
half the sugar.  But then, we Russian-area people always use sugar--even in
gefillte fish....
Devra the Baker

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com