[Sca-cooks] Another gimp's view

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 30 15:03:28 PST 2002

Brangwayna said:
> They Pennsic staff already rents a number of handicapped potajohns and they
> are scattered throughout the site, with more in the easily accessible areas
> aroundthe barn.  You can work with the Pennsic staff to site a handicapped
> porta-john near your camp.  We did it last year for ours.  We let them know
> that there were several individuals needing one in these blocks and lo and
> behold, one was trucked in within 24 hours.

Wow. You are saying you let them know AFTER Pennsic had started and
they still managed to bring one in?

I think that this shows that despite some comments there are folks
who do take extra effort on behalf of the disabled. That a blanket
statement about not working with the disabled doesn't apply.

Making such changes after the event starts is certainly more
expensive that being able to plan for this ahead of time. Also,
rather than simply replacing a standard unit with a handicaped
unit which would cost more, they added an additional handicaped
unit which costs even more. To be able to do this within 24 hours
it sounds like the folks in charge already had some contingency
plans. Huzzah for these organisers.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net