[Sca-cooks] Another gimp's view

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 05:52:58 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/30/2002 6:03:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> Wow. You are saying you let them know AFTER Pennsic had started and
> they still managed to bring one in?

I am not sure if they brought an entirely new one in or if it was already on
site and they just trucked it over.  I should also state that this was done
at the beginning of LandGrab week, when they are still bringing in a number
of the potties.  The portapotties are usually not all on site on Land Grab
day, but continue to arrive during the first week.  I think that if you were
quite sure that there would be people in your block who would need a
accessible pottie, it would make sense to contact someone before War and ask
them to plan to put one there.  As it was, we were in an entirely new area
and had no idea what would be out there, so we waited to see if there would
be one within usable distance.  There wasn't, and there were several other
folks in the same block who needed it, so we asked for one.

> I think that this shows that despite some comments there are folks
> who do take extra effort on behalf of the disabled. That a blanket
> statement about not working with the disabled doesn't apply.
>
> Making such changes after the event starts is certainly more
> expensive that being able to plan for this ahead of time. Also,
> rather than simply replacing a standard unit with a handicaped
> unit which would cost more, they added an additional handicaped
> unit which costs even more. To be able to do this within 24 hours
> it sounds like the folks in charge already had some contingency
> plans. Huzzah for these organisers.

It probably wasn't quite the superhuman effort it sounds, since, as I said,
they were still bringing in potties anyway, and I really don't know if it was
an additional one or if they took one from an area of presumed need (say, in
the marketplace somewhere), and moved it to an area of known need.
Nonetheless, it was a very nice thing for them to do.
Contact ahead of time!  Gorgeous, if you go, make sure you or the harbinger
for SPCA contact the autocrat ahead of time to ask for an accessible john
near you.

Brangwayna
(Of course, the john did create one sort of problem - as you may have
noticed, the space under the door on these is very big.  There were a couple
of bratty kids nearby who discovered that they could lock the door and slide
out through that space.  Fortunately, it was easy to undo the hook with a
stick, but we kept a watch on it and eventually caught at least one of the
kids, who was duly escorted back to her camp and reported.  No more
problems.)