[Sca-cooks] Intro and question

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 15:54:42 PST 2002

--- Ãlfhelm se reade <LordAelfhelm at netscape.net>
wrote:

> My Mundane and House sister, Leofwynn atte Gos,
> referred me to this list, as my Lady wife wanted to
> know what a certain spice is, and where it can be
> obtained.
>
> She said how helpful all on this list were -
>
> The spice is for East Indian cooking, and is "Chat
> Masala".

Most masalas vary a bit- here's one recipe.

Chat Masala

4 tbsp coriander  seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ajwain (thymol) seeds
2-3 whole dry red chillies
3 tbsp black salt crystals
1/2 tsp citric acid
1 tbsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp white/black pepper (optional)

Method

Roast the first 3 ingredients seperately and powder
them with the chillies, black salt and citric acid.
Mix in the remaining ingredients.

Store in an airtight container.
Will keep well for years.

Phlip