[Sca-cooks] maraschino cherries, was I quit- and froup!

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Sat Mar 30 16:07:32 PST 2002

> What's the difference between Maraschino and morello? How does the
flavor's
> differ? Never heard of morello but i'm a fan of maraschino

According to Epicurious (www.epicurious.com), Maraschino cherries are a
specially treated fruit that can be made from any variety of cherry,
though the Royal Ann is most often used. The cherries are pitted and
then macerated in a flavored sugar syrup (usually almond flavor for red
cherries, mint for green). At one time they were traditionally flavored
with Maraschino liqueur, though such an extravagance is now rare. The
cherries are then dyed red or green. The federal government has now
banned the use of the harmful dyes that were used until recently.
Maraschino cherries can be purchased with or without stems. They're used
as a garnish for desserts and cocktails, as well as in baked goods and
fruit salads. Because of the processing, they really don't taste much
like cherries at all.

Morello cherries, on the other hand, according to TV Food Network
(www.foodtv.com), are sour cherries with dark red skin and flesh, seldom
found fresh and used in a variety of processed products. The blood-red
juice is used in making liqueurs and brandies, and the cherries can be
found canned, packed in syrup, dried and in preserves. The sharp, sour
taste makes the Morello unsuitable for eating raw but perfect for
cooking.

Avraham