[Sca-cooks] maraschino cherries, was I quit- and froup!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 23:14:13 PST 2002

Maire wrote:
>Hey, Anahita, do you have an online source for morellos? I'd love to try
>them....with or without chocolate liqueur <g>

Even my local source ran dry. I was cooking a German rice and cherry
dish for the Boar Hunt in December and i needed 2 or 3 bottles. There
were only one or two on the shelf and the store never got more in.
Last time i was in there they *still* didn't have any. I think the
source was somewhere in Europe. I've seen Hungarian bottled morellos
in Mittle European delis...

For the feast i ended up purchasing some European morello cherry
preserves with big whole fruits in it and mixing that with the
bottled cherries. Since the dish called for sugar, i just didn't need
to add any, since it was in the jam. I know the dish wasn't the same,
but, well, you do what you can with what you can find.

If you do a search on
http://www.google.com
for all the words
morello cherries light syrup
you'll find a selection of American on-line vendors.
I know, i just looked :-) I haven't shopped from any of them, though.
Maybe i should buy a case.

When my daughter is home, she and i will sit watching a video and eat
a whole jar, then drink the juice/syrup (it's light enough to seem
like juice). Heck, we *fight over* the juice. That's why finding the
beverage syrup was such as good thing :-)

Anahita