[Sca-cooks] maraschino cherries, was I quit- and froup!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 23:04:10 PST 2002

I wrote:
>>  I like Morellos best packed in light sugar syrup and use them in
>>  period food, as Morellos are called for specifically in some German
>>  recipes. I also found, at my local Persian market, a FABULOUS Middle
>>  Eastern brand of morello cherry syrup for making drinks - 1 pt syrup
>>  in 5 pts water. Same company that makes the lemon-quince syrup.

And Avraham responded:
>What's the brand on that syrup? I want to see if I can locate it here...
>heck, I live in New York. It's gotta be here SOMEplace. :-)

Well, i'd like to temper my previous enthusiasm. I think it's
fabulous, but i love morello cherries. Perhaps to other it would just
be ho-hum.

As for the brand, it's Sadaf, based in Southern California where's
there's a HUGE Persian population. They have a website
http://www.sadaf.com/

The quince-lemon syrup was interesting... i discovered it when i was
preparing to make quince-lemon syrup for my Persian feast last
November, using a recipe either in al-Baghdadi's "Book of Dishes" or
in "The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods". I was sure
surprised to find it is STILL made over 600 years later! Of course,
my fresh syrup was way superior, but the bottled wasn't bad, just add
a capful of rosewater and a spritz of fresh lemon juice to the
bottle. And it was cheaper than buying half a case of quinces and way
less work than spending hours cooking the quinces down then slowly
straining the juice out of them. I served the homemade at the feast,
and took the commercial syrup home. It too is by Sadaf.

Anahita