[Sca-cooks] Whole to ground spice equivalents

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Mar 31 17:05:22 PST 2002

Since I don't own a Dick ;-P, I just used the handle end of one of my
cheap knives to splinter my cinnamon into chunkage small enough to get
into my spice grinder.  I'm sure you could put the cinnamon stick(s)
into a plastic bag, and whack at it with a hammer or rolling pin, and
achieve the same effect.
Dunno if they're period, but ISTR seeing little cinnamon graters in one
of my books on 18th c. reenactments. Folks looking for ways to make
freshly ground/grated cinnamon might find it handy to check out some of
the sutlers/merchants that cater to reenactment groups of time periods
later than ours.....(just a thought <g>)
--maire, sitting out in front of the Cathedral, where the light is best,
so that she can work on her lacemaking....