[Sca-cooks] Whole to ground spice equivalents

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Mar 31 14:58:30 PST 2002

>Question to everyone:Can you mash cinnamon with a knife and use it in larger
>chunks or would you have to use it grounded up?

Yeah, you could, though it's pretty tough to make small chunks.  If you are
cooking something with liquids, as in, not a baked item, you can wrapthe
chunks of crushed cinnamon in cheesecloth, which will allow you to remove
the bits.

>And if I can mash it, would I have to get my Dick and mash it? Or would any
>shape, size, or brand do?:-D

Beware of using such a good thing as a Dick to mash cinnamon.  You might
end up damaging it <grin>  The side of a heavy cleaver might work.  A
hammer would also work.

I haven't followed the beggining of this thread, but I should mention I
have three coffee grinders, only one of which was used for coffee before my
wife died.  One for peppers, and one for other stuff...

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka