[Sca-cooks] yet another new topic (TM)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun May 5 19:59:15 PDT 2002

Hello all!

Yes, Akim, I am interested in what folks are planting. I planted roses at
Dad's house in Sutherlin but that's as far as I got.

But...

I was wondering (and the thought process is a little convoluted here, so
bear with me). I"m working on a *special project* (as in my Dearest Love,
maybe you should skip this paragraph) and needed to find out the
theological/philosophical properties of flowers as seen in the Middle Ages
to have something appropriate to put in capitals (I _told_ you this was
convoluted!) on a scroll. As in violets are for fidelity, etc. I finally
found what I needed- at least I am satisfied that I can do what I wanted
there....

Now- what I am thinking and wondering about- do we know of similar
properties for food? Beyond the four humours, that is. I know that there
are associations with pears (lust and fecundity being the most immediate)
and I am wondering are there others? Surely there are. And did people ever
serve/eat specific food for that reason? Got to be some going on, if
Chaucer saw fit to use it as a motif in the _Merchant's Tale_.

Does food impart properties, like killing and eating a particular animal
might give you it's properties- fierceness, bravery, swiftness, whatever?
Did they think about this in a deliberate manner, or as an afterthought?
Were there punitive foods? (I believe rice cakes to be a punitive food!)

So, whaddya think?

'Lainie
I think it's time for look for a snack!