[Sca-cooks] Re: Eggs & Marrowbones

Ann and Les sheltons at sysmatrix.net
Mon May 6 18:23:24 PDT 2002

The song that Kiri is thinking of is probably "Old Woman from Wexford,"
which was recorded by the Clancy Brothers, an Irish folk group {album titles
like "Songs of Irish Rebellion" lets you know how they felt about the
English!}.  Synopsis:  "She loved her husband dear enough, but another man
twice as well."  So, she asks the doctor what to feed him to make him go
blind; he recommends eggs and marrowbones.  She feeds them to her husband,
he eats them and goes blind.  He wants to drown himself but it would be a
sin, so she volunteers to push him in, gets a running start, he steps aside,
she goes in the water instead.  I'm sure there's a website where you can
look up the exact lyrics.

John le Burguillun