[Sca-cooks] Re: Eggs & Marrowbones

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon May 6 19:13:10 PDT 2002

At 09:23 PM 5/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
>The song that Kiri is thinking of is probably "Old Woman from Wexford,"
>which was recorded by the Clancy Brothers, an Irish folk group {album titles
>like "Songs of Irish Rebellion" lets you know how they felt about the
>English!}.  Synopsis:  "She loved her husband dear enough, but another man
>twice as well."  So, she asks the doctor what to feed him to make him go
>blind; he recommends eggs and marrowbones.  She feeds them to her husband,
>he eats them and goes blind.  He wants to drown himself but it would be a
>sin, so she volunteers to push him in, gets a running start, he steps aside,
>she goes in the water instead.  I'm sure there's a website where you can
>look up the exact lyrics.

Somewhere I have a tape made from an old record at the library (ten years
or more ago) of Seamus MacEnnis' Irish Pipe and Tin Whistle Songs, and the
Old Woman from Wexford song is on it. He also has one where the Devil comes
and threatens to take the man's wife, and the man syas go ahead and the
Devil takes her off, kicking and screaming... and then shortly he brings
her back- she's worse than hell itself!

Wish I could find that tape- right useful for driving, etc...

'Lainie
-can't find my Chieftains tape either. Bother.