[Sca-cooks] Civil War (was Japanese (was: What did they..))

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 9 06:15:51 PDT 2002

Also sprach Jane Williams:
>Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote :
>
>>  ...English Civil War (why does a country whose history
>>  includes so many Civil Wars have only one they call that?)
>
>You know, that's a good question, and not one I remember being
>answered in school history lessons.

Let's see. We've got Stephen versus Maud, and The War of the Roses,
at the very least, in addition to the Cromwell thing. I'm sure there
are more. One could make cases for the Scottish War of Independence
and its Welsh equivalent as being civil wars, too.

>It's the only one I know of where there was only one person who
>*anyone* thought was the rightful king. Could that be something to
>do with it?
>
>(Why is any war called "civil", anyway? They're usually most
>un-civil: positively rude, in fact.)

Yep, as George Bush The First is said to have stated, "War is all
heck."  Civil, in the sense that one is fighting not a foreign
invader (or for that matter being one), but members of one's own
society, over the manner of government of that society.

Adamantius