[Sca-cooks] beet sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 13 22:57:05 PDT 2002

Olwen replied to Kiriel with:
> >On the weekend I went to the coast to enjoy some sun and sand before the
> >winter really descends.  I went for a drive to a little town called Tilba
> >Tilba, and there, in this tiny town with I would guess a population of les=
> >than 300, I found... lump beet sugar!
> >
> >Mind you, it is $30 a kilo, which is certainly the most expensive sugar I
> >have ever bought, but I am looking forward to experimenting with it, and
> >now that I have a brand name for it (cosmorex, much to my surprise) maybe =
> >can track some down here at home for a more reasonable price.
> >
> >Kiriel
>
> Great find!  Having never seen it, I have to ask stuff like what colour is
> it?  and does it taste a bit different?  How does the texture compare, etc.
> Please keep us posted on what you do with it and how the results differ (or
> not) from regular sugar.  At that cost I am sure it will be judiciously use=
> so we probably won't hear anything till you have something special to
> prepare.

Interesting. Talking to a friend in Moscow (Posadnik), who has written
several articles for the Florilegium, beet sugar is all he can get there.
He says cane sugar used to be fairly available until relations with Cuba
and the Cuban subsidies went away. Now cane sugar is rare and corn
syrup is practically unheard of.

An interesting set of opposites.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net