[Sca-cooks] 12th Night Ideas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 14 21:52:35 PDT 2002

John Marshall of Hartshorn-Dale asked:
> My group is discussing putting in a bid for next year's Twelfth Night.  I have been asked to make food suggestions, having run several successful feasts in the last several years.  I would like suggestions as to what books to start with.  We have been told to "Think Elizabethan, think winter (and then think eatable)".  I would like thoughts from anybody, especially anyone who's cooked BIG events, since this will probably be twice the size of anything I've tried to do before.

That's a pretty open question. Perhaps you can narrow it down a bit
by the type of facilities you expect to have or types of foods you
might like.

In the meantime, perhaps this file in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium
might be of use:
Elizabet-Fst-art  (30K)  5/ 8/01    An Elizabethian feast menu and references.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Elizabet-Fst-art.html

> P.S. Can I bring my gingerbread to the Pennsic Potluck?

Sure. Why not? Although I am assuming you mean the period version
and not the modern gingerbread Cake. Gingerbread is another of those
items that you might be able to make at home and bring to Pennsic if
you need to.

This file has some period recipes and redactions for gingerbread:
gingerbread-msg   (45K)  2/26/02    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net