[Sca-cooks] Painting on Sugar Paste

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 14 15:23:55 PDT 2002

<alichorad at hotmail.com> wr=
> ote:
>
> "One other question, does anyone paint on the sugarpaste or do
most people =
> leave it as is? Thanks in advance."
>
> Isbelot de Forenz
> (mka Anna Lichorad, MD)
>
> HM Alys Katherine is the sugarplate expert on this list, but I
think I can =
> answer your second question.  The recipes I have seen for
sugarpaste call f=
> or the colors (if any) to be added to the dough.  One recipe
(might be from=
>  one of the post-period  sources) had flat rectangles of
sugarplate in diff=
> erent colors rolled up together, then sliced, making multicolor
pinwheel pa=
> tterns.  But if you wanted to do some detail work, I don't see why
it would=
> n't be possible to paint sugarpaste.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

Hi, there.  Caught this post totally by accident.  There is (I
believe) evidence that folk painted on the sugar paste.  Murrell
lists the colors to be gotten from the limner's shop.  And, yes,
color was added to the dough itself.  There are earlier accounts of
painting on the plates made from sugar syrup (in Forme of Curye).  I
have some hints for painting on sugar paste in one of my files, and
the ubiquitous Stefan's Floriligium has some similar comments.

We've been using food paste colors thinned with water or vodka
rather than the somewhat suspect food colors from period.  However,
my first apprentice made some plates painted to look like the
pictures in the Duc du Berry's calendar.  She used scribal/limner
colors and learned that she needed to put down a layer of white
first, or else the sugar paste would soak up the color resulting in
having to use more coloring material.

If you - or anyone - wants a copy of the file with hints for
painting, e-mail me privately, please?  I scan the digest headers of
the Cooks' List now rather than reading the individual digests so I
may well miss something unless it says "sugar" or "sugar paste"!
:-)  (Hey, this Queen stuff is keeping me _busy_!)

Alys Katharine