[Sca-cooks] Tools for Playing with Food

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed May 15 06:13:21 PDT 2002

> > >It's called a clay gun. I got them at the Rag Shop, a local craft store
> > >chain, in the clay sculpture section.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >Cindy
> >
> > Actually, I have tried using the thing for sugar plate and it doesn't
>work.
> > The paste is too stiff.  Works great with marzipan and icing and
>chocolate
> > but not with sugar.  The holes are too small.  It's kind of a syringe
> > looking thing with tiny disks you can put in the end to make different
> > shapes.  I suppose if you are working with a more plyable sugar then it
>may
> > work but I can't imagine hot sugar staying that well in the cylinder
>without
> > leaking out and burning you.  I actually think a big playdough press
>would
> > be what you need.  I can imagine making some cutout plates of shapes for
>it
> > would not be so difficult for someone with some wood and a dremel.
> > Just my thoughts.
> > Olwen
>
>I have an aluminum cookie press [somewhere, in a box].  Maybe we should
>find it
>and see if that works?
>
>Another suggestion I have heard before is a garlic press, for small amounts
>of
>sugar "hair."  I'm thinking its big brother, the potato ricer, could do
>something similar.
>
>Selene, Caid

Let me know how or if it works for you.  The little press I have makes great
hair, as you can see on the peeps in the Lolly Peep but I could not budge
one tiny bit of sugarplate through.  I suppose if you have the cookie press
that uses screw-force to push through you may have some luck.  The garlic
press I would be careful of the handle snapping off and the ricer is
probably going to get a bent handle.  Or OTOH, perhaps my sugarplate is just
way too stiff.
Olwen