[Sca-cooks] Nanna's Cook Book? & other subjects

Sudden Service #5 sudnserv5 at netway.com
Tue May 21 09:29:22 PDT 2002

Hej!  Nanna,
    Has your book been released in the States yet?  If so what is the ISBN?
I was only scanning the list for a few months & missed any announcement of
the publishing.  I hope the sales are going well.

Aurore,
    When I get the Bailey's Irish Cream Pudding recipe, I will post it as
soon as I receive it.

margali,
    Think hard PLEASE, the not too nervous autocrat.

Kiri,
    Yes, seeing the post that said "Dinning with William Shakespeare" were
going for $140-$160 that prompted me to grab it so quick.  I would have gone
with the less expensive "To the Queen's Taste" or the "Viking Age Denmark" I
already had in hand if it were not for that.  For people who want to order
books at good prices I suggest that they contact  "The Haunted Bookshop" 370
Worcester Street,West Boylston, MA 01583  (508) 835-4738.  I am not
connected with the store except as a customer, but the Lady that runs it
does a good job for SCAdian book collectors, as well as being SCAdian
herself.

On the subject of Languages,
    As an Army Brat, I learned to speak some German in Germany in 1969, but
have lost most of it.  When "Das Bot" came out I could follow about a third
of it.  Now talking to & overhearing customers I can only follow a few
words.  I have always been able to pick up enough of a country's language to
be polite on the street & order a meal in a restraint.  Italian was
fun-never order a pepperoni pizza in Sardinia (pepperoni means pepper sauce)
& trying to explain to the couple on the train to Pisa that I was an
American Submarine Sailor was a lot of fun (Submarine was not listed in the
phrase book the Navy gave us).  The difference in Mexican Spanish & the
language of Spain are subtle.  I tried to order some bread & got an omelet
(tortilla).  The only countries I did not learn any of the local language
was Scotland (other than place names I never heard any Gallic spoken the 4
days while I was there) & Norway where everyone would start speaking English
as soon as they realized I was American.  I only met one person who did not
speak English & since I was trying to ask directions he was no help.  I am
trying to learn Swedish from a tape, but not doing well at it.  I am
learning a few words of Chinese from a friend, she laughs at my accent.  I
eat at a lot of ethnic restaurants & try to ask what the usual words are:
please, thank you, yes, no, polite title for men & women, spicy, very spicy,
more spice, right, left, up, down, where is the men's room.  I keep trying
to learn a little.  Here in the Framingham/Natick MA area we have the
largest Brazilian speaking population in the world outside of Brazil.  The
ATM's here & many of the signs are in English, Spanish, Portages & Chinese.

    As for women, I would just like one that wants me & is within the
standards that I find attractive.
Pax,
Olaf