[Sca-cooks] event cooking

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed May 22 10:00:50 PDT 2002

Well, in SPCA we are trying to make our dinners the period meals, with
breakfasts and lunches being served over a timeframe they are not really sit
down together meals, more like short-order cooking. I suppose I could make
them all period, and we may some day.

My harbinger bash is blatantly non period. I try to feed the most people the
most effectively after driving 600 miles and unloading the vehicles/setting
up the kitchen. Mundane it is!

My birthday dinner is always period. First year was roman themed, using
Apicius and a couple of other sources from my roman cooking list. We had
roast duck with a sauce, beets [root and top], one of the dulcias
[essentially custard with honey and black pepper]and my memory escapes me
right now as to what else we had. Second year it was englis - everything was
out of thousand eggs. Third year was german, and last year was persian - I
made the al-qataif with duck instead of chicken, and one with chicken for
the less adventurous, khichri, white sals, and my mind is blanking out on
what all. I think it is in the archives for cooks list. This year instead of
teh traditional duck I was thinking of lamb, but if I do duck, I was
thinking of going egyptian - with all of the neat stuff from tomb paintings
and translated shopping lists I might give it a shot. Otherwise I was
thinking of the King Midas dinner that was discussed last summer because of
the museum doing the feast and screwing some of it up [precolumbian cacao
beans imported to Macedonia? Yeah, right!]but only if I could talk Scotti
into brewing me some summerian beer.

We sign up to do the dinners - everybody is entitled to cook one night, and
if there are extra nights not claimed then you can have a second night. We
do try to make them period - but it is no big deal if it is only perio-oid,
although I got bored at work one week and sat down and put together IIRC 3
menus, each themed and put them onto the household list for people to claim
so they wouldn't have to menu plan for themselves. The hash-slinger in chief
each night usually has volunteers to help and we hire sculleries to do the
cleanup. They get to do pennsic for troll, and board/camp fees in exchange
for work. Very fair - and it gets people to pennsic when they normally
wouldn't be able to get there alone.

We also have been know to feed people sent down from chiurgeon who are in
trouble for one reason or the other - and we have had the occasional person
trade bardic fu for food. Great way to get entertainment ;-)

amrgali

the quote starts here:
Out of curiosity how many people at camping events try to do only period
recipes?  Maybe only breakfast and dinner, or only dinner?

How many folks try for only period cooking methods? (with the exception of
the cooler which I feel is mostly a safety issue today)

Does anyone try for a region of cooking and stick to it for an entire event,
say only English cooking or only Mediteranean cooking?