[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1946 - 4 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu May 23 11:08:22 PDT 2002

My hot water comes out of the tap at 180 degrees fahr...

Yep - in the winter it damn near flashes to steam when it hits that
stainless steel sink. I don't even need to install a hot spot ;-) The
benefits of running one's hot water system at the max...

And as was pointed out, boiling water doesn't get a pot dirty, that is what
the tea kettle is for. [meat glace to rice, pour in water, stir, cover..]

besides, I have seen innumerable box pilafs and recipes that don't call for
heating the liquid, just measuring and dumping it in.

margali
*more power* is Rob's middle name

the quote starts ehre:
But, again, how did you get it to boil before adding it to the pan?
Telekinesis? A magnifying glass and a sunny window? "Cooking
appropriately" includes that. Classically, pilaf is made that way,
and while you can certainly cook rice without that liquid already at
a boil, it isn't really pilaf by classical standards, either French
or Turkish, and the product really is a little bit different.

I'm not finding fault with your method. I just stated what the
"officially approved" method was, so people could make an informed
choice before  changing or abandoning it.

A.