[Sca-cooks] Re: Greens?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed May 1 09:46:06 PDT 2002

At 12:22 PM 5/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Is it possible that the green porridges just don't appear much on menus in
>specific cuisines? I know that many English writers believed that upper
>class people in the 14-16th century ate little to no veggies based on the
>feast menus.  (There's an article I just got about what veggies they had
>in England, I have it somewhere, by John Harvey, based on the Fromond
>list)
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Could it be that they weren't considered 'feast' food? Many of our 'feasts'
(Holiday fare, etc) are really heavy on meats, poultry and starches, and
the vegetables are rather an addendum. Alot of restaurants seem to consider
veggies an aside also. And let's not talk about the standard fast food.

If vegetable dishes are everyday sort of food, they may not have included
them in a feast menu, or at least they didn't list them. Do they list the
bread and butter on the menu at a restaurant? Maybe, maybe not...

I dunno. Just a thought.

'Lainie